Iris Rev. 6 Keyboard - Hotswap PCBs for Split Ergonomic Keyboard$79.99
The Iris keyboard, a split ergonomic keyboard with 4x6 vertically staggered keys and up to 4 thumb keys. Time to stop stretching your thumbs out on the Ergodox!
Status: The Rev. 6 is currently out-of-stock and has been replaced with the Iris Rev. 7 PCBs.
Differences with Rev. 6
The differences between this Rev. 6 PCB and the Rev. 4 PCB are the following:
- TRRS jacks for connecting both halves together have been replaced with USB-C
- Kailh Hotswap Sockets have been added (MX-compatible switches only)
- Per-key RGB LEDs added
- 2u thumb support removed from Rev. 6
Also, due to the replacement of TRRS with USB-C, a different set of plates and case parts are needed, so older parts (Legacy Edition) can not be used. The newer plates/cases (Phoenix Edition) will be compatible with Rev. 5 and Rev. 6.
Iris PCBs with on-board controller and USB-C port. Just put in your switches and you're done! The rotary encoder pins are not hotswapped, so encoders need to be soldered in if installing them.
About Rev. 6.1 PCBs: Only difference between Rev. 6 and 6.1 is that encoder side legs no longer need to be clipped off if installing encoders.
- Left half PCB
- Right half PCB
Items Needed for Build
- Iris PCBs (this item)
- Iris Plate Kit
- USB-C to USB-C Cable to connect both halves together
- Iris middle layer (optional)
- 54-56 Switches (MX only)
- USB-C Cable to connect to computer
- Rotary Encoder and knobs (optional)
- Silicone Hotswap Bumpers (optional, but recommended)
- SKUF Keyboard Feet (optional)
- 3D-printed case to supplement plates (optional)
- Available at Tree Dog Studio
Rev. 6 Features
- On-board ATmega32u4 controller
- Switch support: MX-compatible only
- USB-C port
- 6 RGB underglow LEDs per half (12 total)
- Per-key RGB LEDs
- Option for rotary encoders at upper thumb key on each half
- Pre-flashed with QMK Firmware and VIA configurator support
- With VIA configurator, you can reprogram the board without needing to know how to setup QMK and/or QMK Toolbox
- Demo video of VIA
Each half of the board is a 4x6 matrix with the same vertical stagger as the Ergodox and with 2-4 thumb keys. Alternatively, a rotary encoder can be placed at the upper thumb key of each half.
Many thanks to Lewis Ridden (/u/GAMING_FACE) for coming up with this design.
Iris Rev. 6 Hotswap Build Guide
The Iris uses QMK for its firmware, and the code for it is here: QMK - Iris directory.
If you would like to enable RGB controls inside of VIA, follow these instructions: Enabling Iris Rev. 6 VIA RGB Controls